Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.
In this Friday Message you will find:
- Principals' Message
- Yom Kippur
- Early Dismissal Procedure Reminder
- Student Rights and Responsibilities Parent Acknowledgement Due by September 29
- Lunch Visitors-Starting October 2
- Pumpkin Decorating Contest
- Floris PTA Information
- TJHSST Science Fair Interest Meeting October 6 (grades 5-8)
- Breakfast and Lunch Menus
- Upcoming Dates
It is hard to believe that we are finishing the fifth week of school. There are not enough words to share our gratitude for how hard the Floris staff are working to provide meaningful learning opportunities for our students each day. The smiles on the faces of our students say it best!
Autumn officially begins tomorrow and the weather has definitely felt like fall this week.
It was wonderful to see our families at the first PTA meeting of the year on Wednesday evening. It looked like everyone enjoyed the ice cream as well and maybe the Friday Message glitch worked as a positive reminder.
Reminder to all of our 3rd-6th grade families, the Virginia Growth Assessments (VGA) begin next week. As a reminder, the dates are listed in the "Mark Your Calendar" section at the bottom of this newsletter.
Please remember that Monday (9/25) is a holiday and all FCPS schools and offices are closed. May all in our Jewish community observing Yom Kippur have an easy and meaningful fast.
Have an amazing weekend! Sounds like we may get some much needed rain.
We will see our students on Tuesday.
Holly Walker, Principal, [email protected]
Rob Gibbs, Assistant Principal, [email protected]
If your student will be picked up early from Floris:
- Changes in dismissal and early release need to be recevied by 2:00pm via the online form on our Floris Website.
- Parents should come to Door #1 with a government issued photo ID (driver’s license, DMV photo ID, passport, etc.) to pick up their student for early dismissals.
- No early dismissals can occur after 3:30pm.
Student Rights and Responsibilities Acknowledgement Due
FCPS’ updated Student Rights and Responsibility (SR&R) booklet is available online and in SIS ParentVUE. The SR&R booklet explains expectations for student behavior, and adult responses to enhance school safety and to create a fair, equitable, and supportive school environment.
Each year, we ask parents/caregivers to review and sign the SR&R. The SR&R will be visible upon logging in to SIS ParentVUE until the SR&R acknowledgment has been completed.
Signatures are due by Friday, September 29. Please contact our front office if you are having difficulty accessing the booklet. Visit the SIS ParentVUE Account Overview webpage for help logging in to your account.
We want to thank our families for your patience as we have taken these first weeks of school to focus on routines and expectations. We are ready to begin having parents join their child for lunch starting Monday, October 2!
When you come to join your children for lunch:
- Enter at Door 1 and report to the Main Office.
- Using a government issued photo ID, you must sign-in and receive a visitor sticker.
- Please ensure you are wearing the visitor sticker at all times.
- Report directly to the cafeteria.
- Enjoy lunch with your children.
- Return to the main office to check-out using your sticker.
- Lunch visitors should not go to the classroom or recess, so our daily schedule and routines can continue for our students.
- We ask that you not bring fast food for lunch.
- Please do NOT bring any food to share with other children, due to safety protocols and allergies.
We look forward to seeing lunch visitors starting October 2!4th Annual Pumpkin Decorating Contest
Theme: “Our Oceans & Their Incredible Creatures”
Sponsored by Floris Green Team
To celebrate the fall season, our Green Team invites all students to participate in a pumpkin decorating contest focused on the theme, “Our Oceans & Their Incredible Creatures”. Show us your creative talents while thinking about our waterways. Pumpkin artists are encouraged to incorporate natural materials (e.g. acorns, leaves, flowers, sticks…) and/or non-toxic Earth-friendly paints. Photos of your creation may be submitted to Sarah de Kramer at [email protected] by Friday, Nov. 3rd. No need to send the pumpkin to school! Awards will be given under two categories: Most Creative Use of Natural Materials, and Best Representation of the Theme. See photos of some prior awardees below.PTA CHESS TOURNAMENT
Date: Saturday, September 30, 2023
Where/When: Floris Elementary School Cafeteria at 9:00am
Who: Open to all local schools - Grades K-12
Click the below link for more details including the link to register!
We are TJ Investigative Science Outreach, a student-led organization at Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology. We will be hosting our 11th annual science fair on March 16, 2024 and we would like to invite 5th-8th grade students from your school to participate. Admission to the science fair is completely free.
Participants will complete a research project of their choice and present at the fair in-person on March 16, 2024. We help students prepare for this fair by holding multiple sessions to teach them important skills in STEM like brainstorming, collecting data, presenting, writing an experiment summary, using statistics, creating an experimental diagram, etc.
Our first interest/brainstorming session is Friday October 6th, 2023 at 6:00 pm. We will be holding this session in-person at TJHSST with a virtual option. During this session we will go over the goals and guidelines of this fair and introduce students to a multitude of project ideas. All interested students should sign up using the form at the link: https://forms.gle/RMfQYuvACK3YajRw8
Please remember you can find the breakfast and lunch menus and nutritional facts at FCPS Nutrislice- Floris
September 25: Holiday, Yom Kippur – All FCPS schools and offices closed
September 26: 3rd-4th grade Reading VGA
September 27: 5th-6th grade Reading VGA
September 28: 3rd-4th grade Math VGA
- 5th-6th grade Math VGA
- South Lakes High School Homecoming Parade and Football Game
October 6: Field Day for grades 3-6, details to follow
October 9: No School for Students, Indigenous Peoples’ Day, Staff Development Day
October 18: PTA Meeting, café, 6:30pm (enter via Door 6)
- PTA Schoolwide Assembly
- PTA Bingo Night, café, 6:30pm (enter via Door 6)
October 24: Picture Make-ups or Retakes
October 27: Floris Annual Harvest Parade, 9:45am, fields
- End of First Quarter
- Two-Hour Early Release
- Floris Dismissal - 2:00pm
- Inclement Weather Date for Annual Harvest Parade
November 5: Daylight Saving Time Ends, fall back one hour
November 6-7: No School for Students, Teacher Workdays and Election Day